MADONNA OF THE HARPIES STATUE
This statue is fashioned after the Madonna of the Harpies (Madonna delle Arpie in Italian) altarpiece painted in oils by Andrea del Sarto from 1515-1517 for the church of the convent and hospital of San Francesco dei Macci in Florence. This was run by the Poor Clares and is long closed, but the church building survives. The altarpiece is now in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. The Virgin is standing on a pedestal that has harpies (from Greek mythology) on the corners; this is where it gets its name. The Blessed Virgin is holding the Child Jesus and is flanked by two putti angels. Made of cold cast bronze, it measures approximately 14”H.