OUR LADY OF MERCY STATUE
Devotion to Our Blessed Mother under the title of Our Lady of Mercy dates back well into the Middle Ages, when the Mercedarian Order invoked her under this title. The Mercedarian Order was founded in 1218 in Spain by St. Peter Nolasco to redeem Christian captives from their Muslim captors. In this statue, Mary is dressed in white garments similar to the Mercedarian habit with a scapular in her right hand and a pair of shackles in her left hand. The red shield on her breast is the shield of the Order of Mercy. This ceramic statue is handpainted and measures 8 1/2" including the base.