STRUGGLES IN THE SPIRITUAL LIFE - Their Nature and Their Remedies
— Fr. Timothy Gallagher, O.M.V.
This is a powerful, life-changing book that will help you understand and conquer the struggles you face in your spiritual life. It is a book for those who love the Lord and desire holiness yet often feel adrift or stagnant in their search for spiritual growth.
All of us encounter valleys on our journey with the Lord — those periods of spiritual desolation that are a painful yet unavoidable feature of our prayer life. Spiritual desolation is as complex as we are, so understanding what is happening and responding to it properly are critical to reaching the heights of holiness.
With warmth and understanding, Fr. Gallagher carefully identifies the various forms of spiritual and nonspiritual desolation and supplies the remedy for each. You will learn how to discern whether your struggles derive from medical or psychological conditions or whether those struggles are spiritual and permitted by the Lord for reasons of growth. In each case, you will be given the remedy for the struggle. You will also learn the various forms of spiritual dryness and of the Dark Night — and how to respond to them.
In chapter after chapter Fr. Gallagher presents a particular struggle as experienced by fictional characters and then provides the advice he gives to those who come to him for spiritual direction about that struggle. You will gain confidence as you journey through desolation, and you will learn to reject the enemy's ploys to infect you with a sense of hopelessness. You will also learn:
- What to do when you are tired, burned out, or overwhelmed by life
- How to respond when you feel burdened or confused in prayer
- What it means when the enemy causes a disturbance in your soul
- Spiritual tactics to employ when you are experiencing struggles
- What to do when you experience disquiet from worldly agitations and temptations
- How to push back when the enemy threatens your confidence in God and His work in your life
Paperback. 181 pages.