UKRAINIAN TRADITIONAL THREE BAR CRUCIFIX ON CORD
This pretty wooden cross features a metal inset with a Traditional Russian Orthodox Three-bar Crucifix.
The symbolism surrounding the Crucified Christ includes:
Measures 2¼” x 3¼” and comes with a small 4½” looped rope for hanging.Made in Ukraine.
- At the top is the Image of Christ “Not made by hands” on the towel which depicts the Lord risen from the dead.
- Worshipping the crucified Lord are two flying angels with the inscription between them: “Angels of the Lord”
- The top bar of the Cross is the title-board which Pilate ordered to be hung in mockery over Jesus’ head.
- On this board was inscribed: “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews” in Hebrew, Greek and Latin. This has been replaced with the Christian inscription: “King of Glory” placed below the knees of the angels with the inscription.
- The middle bar is that on which the Lord’s hands were nailed.
- On the left and right end of the middle board are the initials IC and XC – the first and last letters of Christ’s Name in Greek.
- In addition, just above Christ's arms we see the inscription: 'NIKA', which in Greek means: "He conquers" or "He is victorious."
- Behind the body of Christ, on either side, are a lance (which pierced Him) and a sponge (which was soaked with gall or vinegar and offered Him to drink) on a pole made of reed or cane.
- The slanted bottom bar is the foot-brace.
- The city of Jerusalem is depicted in the background, for Christ was crucified outside the city walls.
- By the foot of the Cross are Russian letters that stand for 'Mount Golgotha', the hill outside the city gates upon which Christ was crucified and ‘the skull of Adam’.